It has long been recognised that OBS offers the best possible data quality and the combination of hydrophone and geophone data can address geophysical challenges that towed marine cannot deal with. There is also the issue of acquisition around surface infrastructure – around 80% of the world’s fields have some sort of infrastructure and whilst it is relatively easy to go in with a source vessel – even one towing a wide and productive array, a full towed spread may leave gaps.
The challenge has always been the cost; and as the requirements for fold have historically precluded more than dual source flip-flop for OBS reservoir projects, source productivity has been the issue – especially in today’s “asset light” world where a source vessel of opportunity is preferred, which may be of limited capacity.
Now, with the introduction of Source Isolation® and Source Revolution™ this conflict is history – and, with it, the concern about lower fold and its impact on data quality and pre-stack analysis.
- SI and SR always provides full-fold, full-band, 4D suitable data
- As there is fill 3D source coverage, increasing source productivity does not result in any significant source footprint for PRM or repeated retrievable OBS 4D
- SI and SR significantly reduces project durations, not only saving costs but enabling more fields to be covered by 4D in a shooting season
- Practical containerized techniques and high-productivity source vessels of opportunity can be used to slash costs for remote 4D operations
- Data Isolation immediately after acquisition leads to faster processing and more timely, better, reservoir management decisions